fireplace2

DIY Fireplace Mantel Redo

Hello All! Thank you for visiting my blog. Today I’m going to talk about the process of how I redesigned and built the new fireplace in the home we recently moved into.

If you havn’t checked out the previous fireplace rebuild I did in our last home, please feel free to take a look if at all interested. DIY Fireplace Makeover

Here we go

Below are some images of how the fireplace looked when we first moved in.

1

2

3

4

5

We didn’t care for the style or outdated look. It was time for a change.

So, I began stripping it down.

6

Now it was time to buy the main supplies.

We really wanted to get rid of the ugly and dated brass, so instead of replacing the whole insert, I used Black Satin High Heat Paint by Rust-Oleum to cover the brass with.They have it as a spray paint also, which is what I ended up using.

6a

Next it was time to get the wood to build with. I used pine for this, however, I decided to go a grade lower than the best to help with cost. In the end I used wood filler and sanding to get a smooth finish ready for painting.

6b

For the hearth portion of the fireplace, I used exterior landscaping bricks that were left from the previous owners as the base, and California Slate for the top portion.

6c

We ended up deciding to do stone rather than tile around the insert. Lowes carries a stone veneer that is lightweight yet looks authentic called “Airstone”. The Airstone has multiple contrasting hues in each box. Some pieces were light and others were dark. We wanted the stone to be consistent in color, so we purchased a few extra boxes and only used the light stone in each box.

6d

After purchasing all of the other supplies such as paint, construction adhesive, stone adhesive , etc, it was time to get back home and begin.

First thing I did was spray paint the brass around the insert. We kept the glass on the doors and covered the glass with A&D Ointment as spray paint wont stick where the ointment has been applied. just be careful not to get any ointment on the brass. I ended up taking the doors off afterwards and cleaned them down really well.

7

Next, it was time to begin the hearth. I put construction adhesive on the bottom of each brick and tacked it down directly on top of the existing tiles. I needed to cut one of the bricks in half in order for it to fit my dimensions, so I used a hammer and pry bar and gently hammered the brick into two halves.

8a

8b

8

I needed two layers of bricks in order to get the desired height. After achieving the desired height, I used the thicker pieces of the Airstone to cover around the sides of the base.

9

Time to install the stone veneer around the insert. I positioned out the stone on the floor first to help organize how I wanted the stone placed and to achieve the look I was going for.

9a

I than began cutting and mounting the stone veneer directly on top of the existing tile. A good tip is to get a plastic fork or something to scrape lines into your adhesive that you will be using to mount your stone with. This helps in getting a better grab.

9b

I started below the insert and worked my way up. After getting the first two rows done I used stone adhesive and tacked down the California Slate onto the top of the hearth base.

10

11

I continued the process working up the sides.

12

I built a support frame to help with installing the top row of veneer stone, so that it would stay straight and in place as it dried.

13

This is what it looked like when the process was complete.

14

Now it was time to start building the Mantel itself.

15

16

17

Moving right along.

18

19

20

Once I got the main body of the mantel completed, I then built the top shelf and mounted it directly on top of the body.

21

22

23

24

After I was done with the mantel, I brought it in and positioned it around the stone. Fit like a glove.

25

I decided I really wanted to further the mantel to the ceiling, so I purchased a flat piece of project board and used construction adhesive to attach boards and trim to create the extended portion that went directly over the main body of the mantel.

26

Now it was time to paint.

27

28

Once painted had been completed, I then installed the mantel to the wall by ripping a 2×4 in half and attaching one of the halves of the 2×4 to the wall, and then screwing the top of the mantel shelf into the 2×4. I used construction adhesive to install the extended portion of the fireplace to the wall. I did not need to use any nails or screws for this part because it was so lightweight and the construction adhesive is like using liquid nails. If you would like to go ahead use screws or nails for mounting the top anyway, then it certainly wouldn’t hurt.

29

30

The project is now complete.

31

32

33

34

Thank you for visiting my blog and reading through this post. I hope you enjoyed it and if you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them below. Cheers, Jason!

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “DIY Fireplace Mantel Redo

  1. Hello – beautiful fireplace! Do you have a list of materials – I want this exact fireplace surround in my house!

    Edie Dahlen

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s